Re: [RFC] String change proposal

Il giorno ven, 10/06/2005 alle 14.44 +0200, Alexander Larsson ha
scritto:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 10:16 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > Here are some sparse strings in nautilus UI I feel wrong.
> >
> >       * "_Browse Folder"[1] in right click menu - It's good only if you
> >         right-click on a folder. But you can do it on volumes,
> >         connections, ... IMHO something like "Open with \"File Browser
> >         \"" is better
>
> All these things you mention are folders. I don't think mentioning a
> "File Browser" makes the ui any better.

Are you sure? Try to insert a CD, using g-v-m to show its icon on
Desktop. You have "Browse Folder" right-clicking over a CD icon...

Alternatives:
      * s/_Browse\ Folder/_Browse/ for all items
      * s/_Browse\ Folder/_Browse\ "%s"/ only for non folder item (where
        %s is the icon caption

BTW when /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser is TRUE, both
"Open" and "Browse Folder" menu items do the same action. Should we
remove or disable something?

> >       * "_Unmount Volume"[2] in right-click menu for network
> >         connections. Please note that the default icon is a folder with
> >         a network cable. IMHO something like "Remove Connection" is
> >         better.
>
> For the case of a connected server, yes. "Disconnect" perhaps?

Maybe. The menu item to create a connection to server is "Connect to
Server...", isn't it? So, mirroring, "Disconnect" should be OK.

> >       * "Open the open folder in a navigation window"[3] and ...
> >       * ... "Prepare the open folder to be moved with a Paste
> >         command"[4] and ...
> >       * ... "Prepare the open folder to be copied with a Paste
> >         command"[5]: maybe s/the\ open \ folder/this\ folder is better?
>
> Sounds good.

I'll provide a patch. Stay tuned. BTW there are other 2 or 3 occurrences
of similar strings.