Re: Application Icons

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 20:11 -0400, Chris Spencer wrote:
> Christian Neumair wrote:
> > Chris Spencer schrieb:
>
> I understand you desire to hide the intimidating innards of desktop
> files from the average user, but I propose such effort are unwarranted.
> The average user is unlikely to navigate the mysterious
> /usr/share/applications directory, much less worry about directly
> editing desktop files. Their interaction with desktop files will usually
> be limited to the application menu, which applies its own interface. If
> you're going to lock out desktop files, you might as well prevent them
> from navigating outside their home directory or manipulating
> configuration files. Of course it's true developers are often keen on
> the command line, but that's not to say it's not also convenient to
> simply browse to /usr/share/applications and open a file in gedit. Even
> developers can appreciate a nice desktop ;)

Desktop files are not only used for apps, they are also used for
shortcuts. E.g. if you drop a web uri on the desktop it will create a
desktop file.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an ungodly playboy cop haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's a brilliant
hypochondriac barmaid with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!