Re: Incorrect URI is passed when domain name is entered for smb://in connect to server

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 18:53 +0530, dinoop thomas wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > Analysis
> > > --------
> > > Unix usernames can contain special characters, but as such there is no need to
> > > escape the username before passing the uri. While escaping, the character ';',
> > > gets substituted with '%3B' and the uri can't be understood by gnome-vfs.
> > >

> > There is a very real reason to escape usernames in uris: The username
> > may contain special symbols. Usernames like foo bar com are very common
> > in many places. Even ; might be allowed in some type of usernames.
> >
> > What we should do is allow you to type in the domain like a normal human
> > in a "domain" field, not force users to learn magic uri semantics to
> > specify the domain.
> >
> Yes, for giving domain name there should be a separate field in the
> connect to server dialog.
> For "Ftp (with login)" also, if I give user name like
> "happy;user" (created it on a Solaris 9 system), the user name is
> passed to ftp method after escaping, is "happy%3Buser". The ftp method
> directly uses it and fails.
> Do you think ftp method (or smb in other case) should unescape this
> string before using it as username ? If so, ftp, smb etc. methods
> should be changed to fix this issue.

Yes, this is a long standing bug. We need to figure out the best way to
handle it with GnomeVFSUri without also breaking backwards compat.

He's an impetuous Amish barbarian haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's a
psychotic paranoid femme fatale with a knack for trouble. They fight crime!