Re: Spatial Mode Window Cluttering and Possible Solutions

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 11:31 -0700, Alan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:41:04AM +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > On 4/18/05, Yuan Qi <gmanenews 3 maxchee spamgourmet com> wrote:
> > > Nautilus spatial is a very user friendly way to navigate files, however, it
> > > creates window clutter for users who use deep folder trees.
> >
> > I am still wondering how much the "window clutter" really troubles
> > people, from an efficiency point of view. I do know that lots of
> > people complain that they get lost in folders if there is many of them
> > on the screen, but I bet most of them manage to work with other apps
> > opening multiple windows (or, who can truly claim that he has only one
> > browser window open at any time?).
>
> The big difference is that with multiple browser windows (or other app
> windows) is that you're actively using them.  The confusion that comes
> with nautilus spatial browsers is that you end up with a lot of open
> windows created from the trail to get to where you want to go.  If I am
> going to /home/alan/foo/bar/baz/qux I want just qux open, but currently
> (without dbl-middle-click, shift double click, or other not-easily
> discoverable tricks) you end up with foo, bar, baz, and qux open.

Exactly. If I would use spatial mode I would have 5 (average) useless
windows open to get one file. Next think that I need to open 5 files in
various directories :)

I suppose a spatial mode is useful only for a flat directory hierarchy
one level deep (two at most).

If you need to browse more "complicated" tree, the browse mode would be
far better. I use the browse mode only as I have really big directory
tree. In what aspect is the spatial mode better (needed) for you? If it
is not, just use the browse mode.

Regards,

Olaf
--