Re: Spatial Mode Window Cluttering and Possible Solutions

Michael Favia wrote:
Problem:
Extra spatial window flotsam that occurs on your way to /foo/bar/baz
(namely "foo" and "bar").

Solutions:
1. Shift navigate. Automatically closes parents as you descend. Less
than optimum to make users hold hotkeys to perform the arguably most
desired functionality.
2. Close all parent folders. Automatically closes all folders above your
destination. (retroactively fixes a problem that need not exist)
3. Implement tabbed browsing. (Description below)

4.  Once I've opened foo, let me choose "View" > "as Browser" to turn it
    into a browser window, and to let Nautilus know that I'll want that
    folder as a browser window whenever I open it in the future.

If this was implemented, the "Always open in browser windows" option, the "Browse Folder" command, and the "File Browser" application could all be removed, simplifying the interface. Once I'd set "Computer" and my home folder to "as Browser", I wouldn't need to use any special menu items or commands to open them as browsers any more; I could just open them normally and Nautilus would Do The Right Thing.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/