Re: Spatial Mode Window Cluttering and Possible Solutions

On 4/18/05, Alan <alan ufies org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:41:04AM +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > On 4/18/05, Yuan Qi <gmanenews 3 maxchee spamgourmet com> wrote:
> > > Nautilus spatial is a very user friendly way to navigate files, however, it
> > > creates window clutter for users who use deep folder trees.
> >
> > I am still wondering how much the "window clutter" really troubles
> > people, from an efficiency point of view. I do know that lots of
> > people complain that they get lost in folders if there is many of them
> > on the screen, but I bet most of them manage to work with other apps
> > opening multiple windows (or, who can truly claim that he has only one
> > browser window open at any time?).
>
> The big difference is that with multiple browser windows (or other app
> windows) is that you're actively using them.  The confusion that comes
> with nautilus spatial browsers is that you end up with a lot of open
> windows created from the trail to get to where you want to go. If I am
> going to /home/alan/foo/bar/baz/qux I want just qux open, but currently
> (without dbl-middle-click, shift double click, or other not-easily
> discoverable tricks) you end up with foo, bar, baz, and qux open.

And pretty often the fact that the folder is already open on your
screen prevents you from having to start again from the top.

> A side effect of this that I've noticed is that because of this some of
> the usefulness of the spatial desktop is lost.  For example, using the
> above example, it's possible that I have used foo bar baz and qux
> folders before, and have their positions and settings set to my liking
> (which of course is the beauty of the spatial desktop).  However, now I
> have qux open and want to close foo bar and baz.  What I find myself
> doing a lot is moving the opened folder so I can get to the parent
> folder to close it.

What I do here is that I arrange them so they don't really overlap.
That way you can "run" through the "path" and still have all the
windows neatly arranged. Of course this doesn't work in a tree 10
levels deep, but that's the nature of spatial stuff.

And just another reason to organize better. Or to use browser mode.

On a personal note, I really don't care if there is 10 windows open
below the topmost window or not, I don't consider it clutter or a
problem. My desktop background is neat (
http://iki.fi/zuh/kuvat/valokuvat.jpg ), but it's not *that* neat.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi