Re: Better looking thumbnails

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
This was just an idea I had the other day. I would submit a request against bugzilla, but I don't know what module to file that against...thumbs for movies get generated by Totem, but what about images. Is it handled by Nautilus or gThumb, EOG?

I know that Nautilus thumbnails the files you see in nautilus.

Since I'm generating noise anyway, I might aswell sell my idea on the mailing list. Just some eyecandy to make thumbnails for images feel a bit lighter and more pleasant for the eye to rest on.
Just a border like good looking photos have and 1px extra shadow.

This is what thumbnails currently look like (in 2.8) http://ramnet.se/~nisse/diverse/temp/currentthumbs.png
This is my mockup: http://ramnet.se/~nisse/diverse/temp/eyecandythumbs.png

I like it.

I made a patch for thumbnail code a while ago. So I could have a go at a patch sometime, if the maintainers find this option interesting.

Problem I see is that the thumbnails are currently saved with a frame in the ~\.thumbnail. So while your proposal might look good in nautilus, it maybe doesn't in other applications that uses these thumbnails.

Maybe thumbnails should never be saved with frames and every application should just add the ones it finds appropriate.

Jaap