Re: suggestion for FTP in nautilus

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 03:33:33PM +0100, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, den 20.11.2004, 13:11 +0100 schrieb Andreas Nilsson:
> > Hello there, I'm new to this list, so don't shoot me if this has been
> > suggested before.
> > I recently discovered the FTP abilities of Nautilus and once I managed
> > to connect to my webserver (that was a bit hard in itself, but maybe I
> > get back on that one some other time) it has been a really nice experience.
> > I have one small problem though. Since I often manage a lot of websites,
> > I often have similar directory structures in both my home folder and on
> > the webserver. I often run into the problem of not knowing  which of the
> > folders one is on my computer and which is on the webserver and often I
> > drag files from the wrong folder and instead of uploading a new file, I
> > download an old one.
> > I thought about this and came up with a solution of the problem and made
> > a mockup.
> > http://ramnet.se/~nisse/diverse/temp/nautilus_ftpmockup.png
> > As you can see in the mockup, the folder on the server has a globe in
> > the background. Pehaps an svg image would be suitable, so it can scale
> > when the user changes the size of the window.
> >
> > Yes, this is the eye-candy approach, the lesser exciting way to do this
> > is to put the text foldername host domain in the window list, but
> > displaying the image in the back makes it really fast to see where the
> > folder is located.
>
> So open the ftp folder, go to Edit->Backgrounds and Emblems and drag
> some background from the dialog onto the folder (in icon view). From now
> on it will show up as you wished.

Yes, but having a default background for ftp/dav/sftp/etc would give
some nice visual feedback that the window you're dealing with is remote.
It can be done on a per-window basis of course, but that's not very user
friendly :)

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"Backups are for people who don't pray."                 -- big Mike