Re: Passwords for smb shares (windows network)

Am Donnerstag, den 18.11.2004, 11:54 -0800 schrieb Raul Acevedo:
> I agree with this proposal... is it possible for a server to have
> different passwords depending on the directory within the server?

Yes, with share level security it is possible (although only for the
first visible level of directories, called 'shares', all subdirectories
of shares are 'part' of the share).

Although not many systems use share level security at all anymore.

Ideal (but somewhat overkill) would be perhaps:
  - ask for one password per server by default
  - if some share doesnt 'accept' the password, ask for an additional
one to apply to this share only.

Or make it special-case the share-level-security smb stuff only. Since
its uncommon. Interesting to know would be: Does the smb client know
that he is in share level security with that server? Before
authorization? Or after successful authorization? Or after both
successful or failed authorization?

cheers,
  Danny

--