Re: Remove search bar code cruft?

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 14:17 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 14:01, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > nautilus_is_search_uri is TRUE (as far as I know we have no search vfs
> > location at the moment so this is never TRUE), we could simply remove
> > the whole search capabilities/medusa integration, drastically reducing
> > compile time. This includes removing the search list view. It would be
> > enough to bring up an additional gnome-search-tool window that is
> > triggered through a "Search file or folder..." menu entry. Medusa
> > integration could be done in gnome-search-tool, since displaying files
> > that are located in various folders inside a spatial isn't really good,
> > right?
>
> Compile times would not be affected much at all, certainly nowhere near
> "drastically". Almost all the medusa-related code is ifdefed out, and is
> not built.
>
> We're not yet sure how medusa integration will work. But this requires
> some serious thinking, and I doubt launching gnome-search-tool is what
> we want.

Why? In my opinion integrating this into the file manager doesn't have
any advantage over having a tool that is well-designed. I know,
gnome-search-tool currently isn't, but that's not the point.

> The medusa code is sort of old and bitrotted, and at some point it might
> be better to remove it and start from scratch. However, I'm not sure
> we're at that point yet, and I'm not sure there is any way to tell
> before someone seriously starts integrating medusa. Until then, the
> medusa code doesn't hurt anyone, nor has it caused any maintainer
> burden, so removing it sounds quite unnecessary.

O.K., so may I please remove all search-related files from
po/POTFILES.in, so that it doesn't cause any translator burden as well?

regs,
 Chris