Re: Desktop/Window alignment (spatial?)

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 06:23, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> Spatial view is pretty neat. When you open up Windows without a saved
> position they default to the top left of the screen, and stagger from
> there. That's fine. However, the desktop icons are also at the top left.
> So you cover the desktop icons by opening windows. This is VERY
> annoying. Windows should attempt to position themselves away from the
> side of the screen the desktop icons are on. Users tend to want to go
> back to them.
>
> This works for Apple since theirs are on the right side.
>
> So I suggest two possible things:
>
> 1) Have a configurable desktop mode. "Right aligned" or "left aligned".
> Right aligned mode would put the desktop icons on the right side of the
> screen: ala apple, and open new nautilus windows on the left. Left
> aligned would be reverse.
>
> 2) Open nautilus windows on the right side, or away from the desktop
> icons. There doesn't need to be any super smart algo to find the desktop
> icons and such, it just needs to be away from the left 200 pixels if
> possible.
>

> Opinions? (I like the mode idea the best, because I like right aligned
> icons anyways and this would be a nice option. :)

At the moment, unvisited windows are just placed by metacity like normal
windows. However, i think your idea actually has some merits in the
general case too. If you open a new small window, any window, chances
are that you don't want it to cover the typical icons on the left hand
(and possibly right hand) side of the desktop.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an old-fashioned dishevelled jungle king with no name. She's a scantily
clad red-headed hooker with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!