Re: Re: [pickup] [RFC/PATCH] Nonotify - A simplistic way to determine directory content changes

We're actually trying to be DE-agnostic, not bound to GNOME, because
of some reasons. I like the Gnome project a lot tough ;-)
Maybe this isn't really the 100% correct place to discuss problems we
have with our little project, but the thread I referred to in my first
post was quite relevant, so I tought it should be continued.

I know 'good' software checks wether file descriptors are still valid.
But not all software is 'good' :-) A normal, average, (ex-windows?)
desktop user doesnt know what software is 'good'. Has never heard of
file descriptors or whatever. He just wants the software to do what it
should do. So if he uses 'bad' software we should try to lower the
risk.
I know CD's are never risky, but still... (like when copying one)

Altering fstab, like what the HAL script does at the moment, is bad
IMHO, because you need specific rights to do so, and some things *can*
go wrong. Imaging: I'm writing to fstab, and my computer crashes. I
got a completely broken fstab file, booting won't work anymore
maybe,... Only a set of bootdisks with an editor can help me out ->
not really user-friendly. But that's another discussion.

I personally think the kernel should have more 'events', having some
DBUS support in the kernel would be great. Maybe one day dreams will
come true :-)

Remains the big issue: is there a better way to check wether a device
(or a file on it) is in use, next to scanning /proc? :->