Re: Re: [pickup] [RFC/PATCH] Nonotify - A simplistic way to determine directory content changes

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:38:13 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> And hopefully one day we'll get that shiny happy freedesktop.org VFS
> layer or something. VFS layers in session-space is a good thing IMHO.

The problem is that this duplicates a core API in a way that is
mostly-similar-yet-subtly-different. It also means that to have a
consistent view of the filing system again ALL pieces of software have to
be rewritten to use it. There'd have to be some very compelling reasons to
not use the kernel VFS I think. I'm not sure supporting pseudo-filing
systems like applications:// is a good reason either.

Note that doesn't mean the FS code has to run in kernel space. LUFS/FUSE
etc can make this work well on Linux and the concept if not the code is
portable to other systems as well.

thanks -mike