Re: Feature Request

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 07:14, Christian Schneider wrote:

> >>I don�t think you have understood the spatial idea. The thing that makes
> >>spatial browsing special
> >>is that each folder on the disk is associated to a certain window. The
> >>window placement and size is stored to make it easier for a human to
> >>remember this association. If you open all folders in the same window
> >>you don�t do spatial browsing. In this case you better use the browse
> >>mode with the tree in the left part of the window.

I didn't know that about the spatial mode... however it is pretty
annoying having multiple windows open, esp because I use a deep rooted
directory structure.  I can remember where things are without needing
the use of window placement.

> >Spatial Coherency is the one unique view per folder.
> >Spatial Stability is loading/saving properties of that folder.
> >
> >If you open folders in the same window you can still get spatial
> >coherence though some of the properties like window size/position would
> >not apply of course. I think there should be an option for opening in
> >same window if the user wishes to sacrifice some of the spatial
> >properties and thats what I hope to add in a future patch.

You can still have window views (the look of the window), but position
is out of the question.  Now what would be nice is if a middle click
could open that directory with the last window placement, so if you
really wanted to have some directories placed in a certain spot you
could still do it.

> If you open the new folder in the same window, what is then left of the
> spatial idea?
> The mind can only remember the folder if the size and position are the
> same as before.

I don't know about you but my mind is a little more advanced than that,
no offense.  I've lasted for the last 20+ years not needing to remember
stuff based on window location or size.

> I would strongly advise not to give the option of opening in the same
> window. Instead you could
> set the left button to close the old window like the middle button does
> in the standard mode.

It could be an option in the preferences for those of use who want it.

> If you want to open a new folder in the same window then you will always
> prefer the real browse mode. So instead of giving the option of opening
> in the same folder it would be nice to have the option of opening all
> folders in browse mode. What of course also includes opening in the same
> window. Spatial and same window just doesn�t mix well.

Actually, I like the clean minimal look of the spatial browsing, but the
behavior is intolerable.  The actual file browser (classic), is too
bulky IMO.

> So my suggestion would be to have three options for left and middle button:
>
> - open in new window
> - open in new window and close old window
> - open in browse mode in same window

I like the option to open the new window and close the old window...
however this must also work in reverse.  If I want to go back to the
previous directory with that little drop up menu on the bottom of the
window then I would want the old window to close again instead of
remaining open.

My opinion is if I have already moved out of one directory I obviously
don't need to look in there anymore or I wouldn't have open another
directory so why is the window still open when I am not using it or will
likely not use it again anytime soon.

After playing around with the spatial mode some more I have found a nice
feature.  If you open a picture directory and have it set to "Image
Collection" view mode then the whole not close the previous window thing
actually works.  But my directory structure is a quite a bit bigger than
standard Windows 2k/XP "My Documents" structure... so the window
behavior is quite absurd in my case.

Ok, why can't I delete something in "Image Collection" view mode?

Pat

--
The Way of a Warrior is based on humanity, love, and sincerity; the
heart of martial valor is true bravery, wisdom, love, and friendship.