Re: Feature Request

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 15:14, Christian Schneider wrote:

> >Spatial Coherency is the one unique view per folder.
> >Spatial Stability is loading/saving properties of that folder.
> >
> >If you open folders in the same window you can still get spatial
> >coherence though some of the properties like window size/position would
> >not apply of course. I think there should be an option for opening in
> >same window if the user wishes to sacrifice some of the spatial
> >properties and thats what I hope to add in a future patch.
> >

> If you open the new folder in the same window, what is then left of the
> spatial idea?
> The mind can only remember the folder if the size and position are the
> same as before.

Well its quite simple. If you open stuff in same window it will neither
load or save properties of that window any more (This is intended for
more advanced users not grandma's)

> I would strongly advise not to give the option of opening in the same
> window. Instead you could
> set the left button to close the old window like the middle button does
> in the standard mode.
>
> If you want to open a new folder in the same window then you will always
> prefer the real browse mode. So instead of giving the option of opening
> in the same folder it would be nice to have the option of opening all
> folders in browse mode. What of course also includes opening in the same
> window. Spatial and same window just doesn´t mix well.

They do in practice cuz I need or want to do both at different times and
I hate having to use the browser mode cause it lacks the nice clean
interface you get with spatial mode.

> So my suggestion would be to have three options for left and middle button:
>
> - open in new window
> - open in new window and close old window
> - open in browse mode in same window
>
> >>btw. I am no developer of nautilus. Like you I can only make suggestions.
> >>

> >I'm not a core developer of nautilus either but if you can program in C
> >its easy enough to hack nautilus. Given the snail pace rate of
> >development in Nautilus, if you want something done its best to do it
> >yourself if you can - i've a feeling most of the enhancement requests
> >will never be implemented otherwise...
> >

> This sounds good. I am a quite experienced developer but have no
> experience in programming gnome. What is a good start to beginn hacking
> nautilus? What source packages will I need and what is a good IDE for C?
> I am currently programming in Java with the IDE Eclipse.

If you just wanna hack nautilus and not the rest of Gnome then:

Make sure you have all the development headers/packages for gnome stuff
in your distro (make sure it has gnome 2.6 as well of course!).

Check out the source from CVS - see following page for details :
http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html

You will need to check out gnome-common first and "make it" then run
autogen script.

Then get nautilus src and run autogen.sh

Forget about IDEs for C - use gedit/emacs/vi depending on what your
familiar with.

(You might wanna backup your existing nautilus before doing a "make
install")

jamie.