Re: [RFC/PATCH] Nonotify - A simplistic way to determine directory content changes

El lun, 07-06-2004 a las 03:02, Alexander Larsson escribió:

> You will (rightfully) never get the kernel developers to complicate the
> locking and synchronization for this case, as it will slow down most
> common cases. Maybe the pragmatic approach is more likely to work.

I only see a challenge-response mechanism working as a long term
solution.  Eject requests (system or user-initiated) *have*, at some
point, to begin some process in-kernel that prepares the computer for CD
ejection, and does WHATEVER is required to let the user eject the
CD-ROM.

Or any other device.  Let's face it, device removals happen, and the
system has to handle expected (cd-rom pushbutton press) and unexpected
(yank of an usb device) failure from components, but it doesn't.  The
kernel does not handle either case gracefully, locking CD-ROMS when
mounted and with open files, and sometimes disabling the USB hub when
pulling a drive out.  And when I say gracefully, I mean zero data
corruption *and* minimum fuss for the user.

We're not asking for the people at linux-kernel to "bend over", nor
should we "bend over" either.  It's got to be a win-win solution!  But,
just as we have to keep them in mind, so do they need to keep us in
mind.  Linus has expressed his interest in desktop Linux, I'm sure he'll
be positive on any proposed solution (so long as it is smart =).

luck,

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net