Re: [RFC/PATCH] Nonotify - A simplistic way to determine directory content changes

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 20:13, nf wrote:
> I have posted this to the kernel list. Might be interesting for the nautilus
> developers as well. Perhaps this could be used by "fam" instead of dnotify.
> Cause i don't see any problems with delivering events from a "polling" mechanism.
> But i don't know if we really need fam in this case, or rather use it from
> gnome-vfs directly.

Not that this might not be a good idea, but your measurements are a bit
skewed. I'm pretty sure that events could be done in a way that uses
less resources (and doesn't block unmount), and what you're measuring is
the worst-case for a notify approach. The worst-case for nonotify is the
cpu usage when the system should be idle, and the fact that to get the
"dnotify" effect of files appearing in the file manager when they are
created you have to poll very often.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an unconventional white trash boxer who knows the secret of the alien
invasion. She's a chain-smoking impetuous traffic cop who inherited a spooky
stately manor from her late maiden aunt. They fight crime!