Re: [RFC/PATCH] Nonotify - A simplistic way to determine directory content changes

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 05:15, nf2 scheinwelt at wrote:
> Quoting Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>:

> > > Only one question remains.  Does nonotify require open fds?  I mean,
> > > will it block cdrom ejection? =)
> >
> > Eh, it obviously does, which was clear in the original proposal (the
> > talk about pinning down dentries).
> >

> Just to put this right: Nonotify does NOT require open fd's, it does NOT pin
> down dentries and it does NOT block cdrom ejection.
>
> Nonotify just uses a modified stat-call to read the new 'dcontents_mtime' field.
> Nothing else. Stat-calls don't open fd's and don't block.

Yes it does. When you call stat() there is a bunch of activity on the
filesystem that will stop cdrom ejection during the stat call. Assuming
that nonotify is stat()ing every X ms, there is a race between the
stat() call and the unmount. So it could happen, but it would be rare.

John