Re: Templates directory looks pretty bare

<quote who="Davyd Madeley">

> My take on this, is that nautilus shouldn't ship with the templates (same
> as it doesn't ship with default mime handlers). Applications should
> register templates with nautilus, so if you write templates, send them
> upstream to the application authors.
>
> ie. gedit could add a "Create text file" template.  or gnumeric could add
> a "Create spreadsheet".

Please see previous threads (and most usefully, the original thread) about
Templates support for some discussion about why this won't happen. We will
end up with the same kind of complicated mess we have with menus if we ship
templates by default and allow applications to 'register' their own. That's
why only ~/Templates is read, and why it's left entirely up to the user (in
their home directory), admin or distribution (in /etc/skel).

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

       The implementation of any sufficiently advanced technology is
                        indistinguishable from pr0n.