Re: Templates directory looks pretty bare

On Sat, 2004-31-07 at 15:08 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> Ryan,
>
> On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 06:57 +0000, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > 	I don't know too much about how Templates is supposed to be used, all I
> > know is I run FC2 and the only template I have is an empty file. Can I
> > generate some commonly used files for Nautilus to ship with, or do I
> > have to arrange that with each App or Distro I use? Perhaps we can ship
> > it as nautilus-extras-templates until downstream gets with the program?
>
> My take on this, is that nautilus shouldn't ship with the templates
> (same as it doesn't ship with default mime handlers). Applications
> should register templates with nautilus, so if you write templates, send
> them upstream to the application authors.
>
> ie. gedit could add a "Create text file" template.
> or gnumeric could add a "Create spreadsheet".
>
> --d

I figured as much, but it seems a bit of a PITA to contact each app make
and bug them to the right thing.

The problem with the mime handler example is that proper mime
association is a critical application feature, but using templates is
very much a nautilus interaction, where one goes to nautilus to work,
and the app gets started as a byproduct.

If nautilus wants Templates to succeed as the way people work on their
computers, IMO we need to ship something to get the ball rolling at
least. For example, if I write a bare-bones OOo writer file (essentially
blank is enough to bootstrap OOo writer), and OOo sees this, they might
be more inclined to offer their own proper version.

Non-GNOME apps aside could I not do some GNOME files like Text, TAR,
HTML, E-mail (??), any others?

Cheers,
Ryan