Re: Connect to Server dialog

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 16:07, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 20:13, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > Yo. Purty pitchures attached.
>
> Neat... here's a few questions/comments, which I'm sure you've argued
> about yourselves while doing the design :)
>
> - I'm not sure how comfortable Joe User would be with the term
> "Protocol"-- maybe something like "Type" would be simpler (or "Server
> Type", but the "Server" part is kind of implicit from the title and
> primary text)?

I would prefer the word "service" as its generic enough and not too
technical a word.

> - Personally I'd kind of expect the username field to come either first
> or last, somehow... protocol, server and folder just seem to be too
> logically related to have the username field split them up. (And since I
> can't really decide what username I'm going to use until I've chosen the
> other stuff, last would seem more natural.)

I would prefer it if username field was hidden initially and only come
into play if its relevant (ie as you say after choosing the other
stuff). Some services might not require a username as such?

> - If you're connecting to an FTP site, how would the dialog change to
> accommodate anonymous logins, given that we don't really want to have
> them type in "anonymous" for the username?  (At least, that was the
> feeling in this recent thread:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2004-May/msg00137.html)

It would be nice if "Anonymous FTP" and "FTP" both appeared as separate
services with (as stated above) the username field remaining hidden if
the former is selected. That way it should avoid over complicating
things (I hope!).

Incidentally I did not see an entry for password - is there a reason for
that? (it should be hidden as per username)

jamie.