Nautilus: specifying file type

Hello.
Please consider my situation:
I want to create a text file on my desktop. I right-click on it and point on the "Create document" meny entry. It says "No templates installed", so I choose "Empty file". Now I see my new file on the desktop. I want to edit it with gedit, and _oops, there's no way to do it! Left-clicking on it gives me 'Associate application' dialog which wants me to register a new file type and to enter weird things like 'MIME type' and 'Category'. Walking through file properties etc. does not help as well.

It's a feature request: to be able to choose one of already registered file types, not only to create a new one.

Wbr, Dmitry.