Re: Some examples of sniffing usefulness

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
El mar, 20-01-2004 a las 03:42, Heinrich Rebehn escribi�
I have different expiriences. Opening a folder with 8,000 jpg images in nautilus takes ages, because *every* file in the folder is *opened* (although the icons have already been created) which would not be necessary if mimetype was detected by extension.

The thing is, the extensions are a problem, both theoretically and
practically (we've all seen how users of Other Operating Systems get
bitten by this often  - may I say "e-mail worm"?).

As has been pointed out several times before on this list, theese problems come for *hiding the extension*, which in fact is a horrible default in Windows. The extensions are *not* a problem (except that you don't seem to like them :-)

Heinrich