Re: Nautilus Browser Mode: View As

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 09:27 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 21:27, Mikoyan wrote:
> > Hi List,

[ snip ]

> > So 2 predictable questions:
> > 1) Is the removal of "view as" in the context menu *in browser mode*
> > a bug? Or is intented (hope not)?
> > 2) How can I let nautilus open my jpg files back in the eog image viewer
> > (embedded that is).
>
> It was intended. We're moving away from non-directory views in nautilus.
> You can still get it by manually configuring your mime settings.

Ok, I don't think it will make a difference. But here it goes anyway:
I *love* spatial mode. In combination with the create document context
menu item, the OO-paradigma is somewhat nicely implemented. Spatial
mode is fast, looks clean and cute. The little details make it very
nice. I've defended this mode to some of my friends, who where confused
by this new paradigm in nautilus.

In spatial mode, i agree there does not belong a "view as", or another
possibility the view a document embedded in the window. That would not
be correct. Directory views only please.

But what the spatial mode makes spatial mode even better, is the
"browse folder" context menu item. The old-behaviour nautilus appears
in front of you, but yes, faster. The improvements to the treeview
have made me enthousiastic. However, the decission to move away
from non-directory views in nautilus overcasts this all.

The browser mode is perfect for embedded views of documents... images,
pdfs, source code, ... And I think it perfectly fits in this mode. It
is not just the spatial mode, or  the browser mode that nautilus makes
nautilus that good. But the combination. By removing embedded views
of documents there is less usefullnes in choosing browser mode. Please
let the "old" mode be the "old" mode, but improved (like the treeview,
very nice). The moving away from non directory view is in my eyes
plain stupid: that's meant for spatial mode, not for browser mode.

Not to mention the people who don't like spatial mode: people relying
on the browser mode will feel disapointed.

Please don't talk about consistincy: it is. Therefore there are 2
modes, aren't there?

The gedit, eog, gthumb, gpdf, abiword, epiphany, ... developers have
made beautiful bonobo componenents/nautilus views. They won't be used
anymore in nautilus and that seems like a waste.
Thank you for the ultra fast eog component, which has all been faster in
startup time than eog standalone.
It was nice viewing document using treeview with "show only folders"
disabled.

Well, that's what I've to say,

	regards, Mikoyan