Re: Best approach to use?

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 23:06, Elijah P Newren wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Bug 116244 was marked as closed (and assumed fixed) by Martin Wehner
> because there were several duplicates with nautilus 2.2.x, but none with
> 2.3.x, 2.4.x, or 2.5.x.  One reporter (who is also using
> nautilus-2.2.1), who had his bug marked as a duplicate of 116244
> reopened the bug.  He did provide some information for a guess at how to
> reproduce, but nothing else.
>
> I'm wondering what the best response would be.  This may even be
> nautilus specific, since other products tend to not get as many bug
> reports and therefore don't have the luxury (?) of being able to guess
> at whether a bug has been fixed merely by the volume of reports per
> version.  Here's what I was starting to type up, but maybe I'm going
> about it all wrong :

> Thoughts?

That looks about right. Also, the bug really looks like an issue in
fontconfig or pango, and it highly likely to not actually be in
nautilus. Its likely that people using nautilus 2.4 also have more
recent versions of pango and nautilus with the bug fixed.

There is zero chance that i'll install some old version of fontconfig
and nautilus, track down the bug, and then look at the recent versions
to see if its really fixed (which it likely is). If there are no reports
of this from later versions I consider this bug fixed.

These kinds of things are iffy though. We have some very rare bugs in
nautilus that have been there for a long while, but we only get reports
about them every other release or so. We shouldn't be closing bugs like
that unless we're sure something changed that we at least think fixes
it.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lounge-singing pirate gangster moving from town to town, helping folk
in trouble. She's an elegant paranoid journalist on the trail of a serial
killer. They fight crime!