Re: Nautilus, metadata and extendet attributes

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 05:30:09PM +0100, Olaf Fr?czyk wrote:
> If I have 500 .bmp and 500 .jpg files (eg. bmp - original, jpg -
> transformed) then extension is the easiest way for me to open the file I
> wanted. Or copy. Have you ever tried to sort files (without extensions)
> by type using midnight commander? :) And why I use mc instead of
> nautilus? Because it is fast, really fast. I don't want to waste 40
> seconds for waiting on directory listing if I can get it in 1 second.

Why does the sniffing have to occur when you try to open the directory? I'm
not taking the time to research how to implement this on Linux right now,
but conceptually wouldn't it be better for a desktop system to sniff the
files when they are created or copied over? There is no reason to wait until
the user opens the directory to sniff all the files.

I would like to see file types managed by the system in some way so that
files are sniffed and the file type stored as meta data at a time when the
user is not waiting for nautilus to do it's thing.

If file types are managed this way, sniffing is fast enough for nautilus and
even the command line. Then we get to have the best design (file types
stored as meta data not hacked into file names) and still have the speed of
file extensions.

--
Ryan Boder
http://www.bitwiser.org/icanoop