Re: Invalid Unicode

William Lovaton wrote:
Hi there,

I'm using Fedora Core 3 with the es_CO locale.  When I mount a Windows
share through Linux (not smb in gnome-vfs because I can't use it ATM)
and when I browse it with nautilus I get lots of files and directories
with special chars like ligatures and tildes (áóúñÑ) with the sign "?"
and the string "(Invalid unicode)" attached to the end of the file.

And because of this OpenOffice and Gnumeric can't open the documents in
there.  the only one that can is AbiWord but it can't work with .XLS
files so I need OO or Gnumeric.

What kind of option can I use to solve this.  I configured the share
in /etc/fstab

nautilus wants to have everything in utf8.

look into 'man smbmount'...

there are 2 switches relevant here:

====
iocharset=<arg>

sets the charset used by the Linux side for codepage to  charset
translations  (NLS).  Argument  should be the name of a charset,
like iso8859-1. (Note: only kernel 2.4.0 or later)

codepage=<arg>

sets the codepage the server uses. See the iocharset option. Ex-
ample value cp850. (Note: only kernel 2.4.0 or later)
====
so basically iocharset should be set to the thing you use, and codepage to the thing that the server uses (imho).

i haven't tested them, because i don't have access to a samba share right now, but i assume something like this should work:

smbmount //remoteserver/share1 /home/user/localdir -o iocharset=UTF-8,codepage=serverEncoding

where serverEncoding is the encoding used on the server.

gabor