Re: Device icons -- suggestion

I would like to point to a related discussion in d-d-l
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-
December/msg00030.html

To summarize, the idea is to solve discoverability like John says.
Showing the devices in the desktop is not a very good idea so we should
use the notification area to tell the user that there is a new device in
the system.  This notification should be there for a fixed amount of
time before disappearing.  Remember: notification area is just for
notifications.

Further discussion in that thread was about the problem of connecting
multiple devices at a time so, how many icons should appear in the
notification area?  I think a good idea would be to show only one
notification and when the user clicks on it, the Computer place is
opened so he can see every single volume.

That way we don't clutter the desktop with device icons and improve
discoverability.

However I have a doubt.  What happens with the CD/DVD drive or the
floppy drive?? Should that kind of device still be showed on the
desktop?  I'm not sure but I think the answer is no.  They shouldn't
receive special treatment.

-William