Device icons -- suggestion

NOTE:  This is my 2nd time sending this message -- the first time I sent it, it did not get posted to the list, possibly because I'm using Postfix that hasn't been configured securely enough.  Anyway, here's try #2 using my university's SMTP server:

I noticed as of GNOME 2.6 there has been a new "Computer" icon drawn on the desktop.  When I first saw it, I thought it was a really good idea -- I figured that the device icons would then be confined to the Computer Place, keeping the desktop more organized.

But, I soon found that all mounted devices wind up, in addition to the Computer Place, directly on the desktop.  I think that sort of defeats the purpose of the Computer place entirely -- what's the point of having it if mounted devices end up on the desktop anyway?

My suggestion is to keep the Computer Place -- it's great.  But stop mounted devices from ending up on the desktop, and confine them to the Computer Place.