Re: Device icons -- suggestion

Logan Rathbone wrote:
NOTE:  This is my 2nd time sending this message -- the first time I
sent it, it did not get posted to the list, possibly because I'm
using Postfix that hasn't been configured securely enough.  Anyway,
here's try #2 using my university's SMTP server:

I noticed as of GNOME 2.6 there has been a new "Computer" icon drawn
on the desktop.  When I first saw it, I thought it was a really good
idea -- I figured that the device icons would then be confined to the
Computer Place, keeping the desktop more organized.

But, I soon found that all mounted devices wind up, in addition to
the Computer Place, directly on the desktop.  I think that sort of
defeats the purpose of the Computer place entirely -- what's the
point of having it if mounted devices end up on the desktop anyway?

My suggestion is to keep the Computer Place -- it's great.  But stop
mounted devices from ending up on the desktop, and confine them to
the Computer Place.

Try disabling /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible in gconf

Jaap