Re: user qn: Open XML mime type with other app

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 26.08.2004, 13:41 -0500 schrieb Chu J Tan:
> I'm using dropline Gnome 2.6.2.
>
> I'm trying to make nautilus to launch JBuilder to open an XML file with
> extension ".JPX".
>
> How do I go about doing it?

Unfortunately I think you have to file a bug with gnome-vfs (or is it
already shared-mime-info?) so that this file type is added to the magic
file type detection code.

> Nautilus insists on recognizing the file as a text/xml mime type. Even
> though I've created a new mime type entry for that extension, it is not
> working.
>
> If I right click and choose "open with", there's no way I can add
> jbuilder to that list.

yep ... drove me nuts already too. I ended up putting a launcher for the
program on the panel and dropping files on it to open.

Of course I could be wrong and there is a magic way for users to add
unknown file types to the shared mime info database :)

If you are adventurous, I know that in folder "/usr/share/mime" a file
"magic" exists where you add match rules for file portions. But for xml
the offsets for data in the xml file are not fixed O_o
but there is also a file "XMLnamespaces" which I have no idea what it is
for...

cheers,
    Danny

--