Custom file associations priority bug?

Hello friends,

In our company, we have some *.ssh files. We invented this file type to
create SSH connection descriptors so that we could access our dozens of
servers by double-clicking icons on Nautilus. This idea of using the
file manager as a GUI for non-gui programs is well-known and used in the
Microsoft world.

Our .ssh files are simple Bash script snippets that define variables,
much like those /etc/sysconfig/* files from Red Hat. We have a "gs2ssh"
script that interprets these .ssh files and opens a terminal with ssh
according to the parameters.

And here is the problem:

In nautilus 2.4, we simply associated files with the .ssh extension with
our gs2ssh script and everything worked fine.

Now, using Nautilus 2.6, the files are always detected as text/plain.

I created another empty test user account to check if there was some
problem with my old GNOME 2.4 settings.

Then I opened the File Types and Programs capplet and created my SSH
file type application/x-gs2ssh, but Nautilus still ignores it and
detects the *.ssh files as plain text.

Trying to prevent the file from being detected as plain/text, I created
a new empty (0-byte) file with the .ssh extension. Nautilus detects it
as application/octet-stream.

Are the user-defined file types being completely ignored in favor of
fd.o shared-mime-data?

Is there something I can do to solve this other than downgrading to
GNOME 2.4?

Thanks in advance,

--
Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> (+55 81 9132-1845)

.- GS2 Tecnologia da Informação Ltda ---------------------------.
| IT: Security, Management, Infrastructure and Free Software    |
| Visit us at www.gs2.com.br contato gs2 com br +55813492-7777  |