gnome desktop hangs, nfs, trash can

Thanks for all the great work Gnome developers have done! Amazing stuff...

We have converted from Windows to Linux (Fedora Core 1/Gnome desktop) but we have some problems with the desktop locking up due to NFS disruptions. Trashcan operations results in unreasonable response time (1-2 minutes) during which the desktop does not respond and is not redrawn. To an untrained eye it looks like Linux has crashed.

Are there any known problems with Gnome hanging when NFS acts up?

Are there any known work-arounds, any ways to minimize the impact of NFS failure?

Is there a way to turn of the trashcan in Gnome for remote file systems?

These are all minor problems but users find them annoying.

Thanks in advance for any support.