Re: Volume handling proposal

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 21:25, Dave Camp wrote:
> With the new file selector, maybe we can start making the desktop
> directory the primary storage area for files?  The cycle is really ugly,
> and will be an instant screw-up for the spatial file manager model.  The
> Desktop also has the benefit of being totally user-managed, which makes
> it a better place for them to be putting files.

I admit I don't use ~=Desktop so I may be biased, but I don't like this.
Even if it is more elegant in theory, I think it has drawbacks in
practice: the principal of which is that the desktop doesn't have
scrolling bars, so what happens when you have more files than those
which fit on the desktop?
Beside I find pretty useful to use the list view on the folder I use for
dowloaded files in order to sort by name, date etc when I look for I
file; that would become more painful if downloaded files were on the
desktop.

For downloaded files I really like the idea of a downloader with
'memory' (and ideed epiphany got this right) that remembers where you
put the last file you downloaded and defaults to that folder.

ciao
	paolo