Re: Volume handling proposal

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 02:14, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> Alexander Larsson writes:
>

> > I don't agree. Floppies are very seldom used these days, so i think
> > having the "empty floppy drive" icon only in "Computer" is enough.
> >

> By doing this you are essentially hiding the floppy drive from the user and
> restricting the descoverability of the floppy drive for users by nesting it
> in a folder(I've always hated "my computer" for this reason). ARe you really
> sure that floppies are seldomly used? I would think it depends more on the
> target audience. In large corporate installs this may be true, but even in
> university situations I still see non-technical students frequently using
> floppies to transfer work between their home and school machines (despite
> easily available network space).

I don't think its that hidden in "Computer". Thats only one click away,
and is the logical place for when you just physically interacted with
the computer (inserting a floppy). Constantly having an empty floppy
icon on your desktop seems quite in the way.

> > Well, the change was to make the Desktop directory more visible from
> > various kinds of file selectors etc. I dunno if clicking on ~/Desktop
> > should show the desktop, this needs experimenting.
> >

> In my opinion, ~/Desktop is an implementation detail more than anything
> else. I don't think users should be exposed to this in the spacial ui. So no
> I don't think clicking on it should "show the desktop" I also don't think
> the folder should be shown when viewing "Home" in the spacial ui.
>
> Another option is to write off "Home" as a unix implemenation detail and not
> include a link on the desktop. The file selector could default ~/Desktop as
> the default folder in this situation, and users might never know about
> "home". Its probably better to encourage users to save files to the desktop
> by default anyway so that they are easily discoverable and can be easily
> manipulated. Users can than create desktop folder such as
> "Desktop/Documents", "Desktop/Music" etc. to store these files in.

This is the desktop-as-home metaphor that dave likes I think. It might
be a good idea. I'm not against removing the Home link on the desktop.
If we make the file-selector start in ~/Desktop this would probably work
well.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scarfaced voodoo gentleman spy with a secret. She's an elegant mutant
nun with someone else's memories. They fight crime!