Re: User mime types not working in Nautilus 2.2 and 2.4 [#48494 back again]

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 05:23, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 04:19, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > I am seeing the exact problem described in #48494 in Nautilus 2.2.4 and
> > 2.4.0 on both FreeBSD and Slackware.  It looks like this bug might be
> > back.  I'm willing to take a deeper look into this.  I browsed a little
> > through libnautilus-private, and it looks like that's where I need to
> > be, but could someone fill me in on how the icon file name is obtained?
> > Any ideas why user-defined icons would not be loaded even though the
> > mime-type and action is?  Note, mime-types in the system mime-info
> > directory are working correctly, and show the correct icons.  Thanks.
>
> Sorry, I have no idea why it would work for the system data and not for
> the user one. I guess you have to trace down the code and compare the
> two

Okay, I've delved into this further, and I think I've found the
pattern.  I'm wondering if you can test this for me, Alex?  Create a
MIME type, and have the icon point to a fully-qualified pathname outside
of the GNOME icon themes.  Then see if it shows up in Nautilus.

What I'm seeing is that MIME types that have fully-qualified non-icon
theme icons (regardless of whether or not they're system-defined or
user-defined), don't show up in Nautilus.  This is because
gnome_icon_lookup() only knows about customer icons if the custom icon
argument is non-NULL.  I believe Nautilus will only set this variable to
a value if a _Nautilus_ custom icon has been defined.  I'm curious to
know if this, in fact, the case.  If so, I'm not sure the best
solution.  Should libgnomeui be fixed, or should Nautilus peek at the
icon_filename gnome-vfs property, and pass it as a custom icon if the
first character is '/'?  Thanks.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	marcus FreeBSD org