Re: properties dialog relationship to displayed selection

Le jeu 11/09/2003 à 20:14, Calum Benson a écrit :
> On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 18:48, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> > I was thinking to something like a per-nautilus-window property-window.
> > This would allow you to have two property windows if you have two
> > nautilus windows...
>
> If it was going to be per-window, there would probably be an argument
> for just making the Properties dialog update dynamically according to
> the selection in its associated window anyway.  E

Right.

> ven without that
> though, you run into the problem of how the user knows which window is
> associated with which.  If that was in addition to your original
> suggestion of windows disappearing without any direct interaction with
> them, I think it could all get a bit confusing...

I think the first versions of nautilus  (that is, 1.x) were based on
such a property dialog: it would update if you changed the selection.
However, as you mentioned, it made it impossible to have two property
windows open at the same time for comparison purposes. I personally
wonder about the use of such a feature: what would you like to compare ?
Could you give a simple reasonable use scenario ?

As a side note, I was thinking today about a recursive property dialog
vs the current one. It would allow you to set a permission recursively
on the subfolders of a folder. I wonder what the UI would look like: do
you have any suggestion about this ? Would it make sense only in the
permissions tab as a toggle button  (recursive or non-recursive mode) ?

regards,
Mathieu

--
Mathieu Lacage <mathieu gnu org>