Re: $HOME as desktop

Owen Taylor wrote:

Perhaps using $HOME is logically right, but practically
speaking I can't see how it is even a possibility at
all. We need to use ~/Desktop, and we need to spend our
ingenuity in making that seem as consistent and robust
as possible.

Regards,
                                    Owen

OK, following that train of thought for the moment...

If we use ~/Desktop there are lots of other issues that need to be decided on between Gnome/KDE/Others to get a consistent desktop. Maybe some/all of these have been discussed or resolved, I don't know.
- Does "My Documents", "My Pictures", etc belong in $HOME or ~/Desktop?
- Do file selectors include a Home as well as a Desktop selector?
- Do file selectors default to home or desktop?
- Does the file manager default to home or desktop?
- Should there be a Home icon on the desktop?
- Will Desktop be presented as the root of the Virtual filesystem as it is on windows? Windows has a Desktop which is considered a users' home directory. It is presented as the root object, "My Computer", "My Network Neighbourhood" etc are considered children of Desktop. There is other magic as well, eg. in Win9x to link "My Documents" in c:\ to the Desktop\My Documents.

If going for ~/Desktop, I would assume that $HOME will become pretty much deprecated and invisible.
ie. ~/Desktop, No, desktop, desktop, no, no idea.

Regards,
Long.