Re: $HOME as desktop

I also hate to join this discussion but people here seem to assume that if
$HOME is desktop, then people "will have to" keep it clean.

This is totally untrue. I know loads of people, that have the messiest
desktops imaginable on the Windows platform.

If we made $HOME the desktop standard, these people will still have the
messiest desktops available, but now they have trouble finding ALL of
their files, and not just the relatively unimportant "launchers" that can
be found on a menu anyway.

This is made worse by:
1. The desktop has far less functionality than any normal Nautilus window,
and having to open $HOME in a separate desktop window just to work with
those files is counter-intuitive. It would also put us firmly and
unmovably in the navigation metaphor, which I suspect is not really what
some of the people arguing for $HOME wants.
2. The desktop has limited space. Yes, you all know what to do about that,
you create sub-directories right? Well, a huge percentage of users just
dump everything in one directory. I personally have a very fine directory
structure carefully laid out, my girlfriend has Documents, Downloads,
Images, but these are all empty, and all the files are in the
$HOME-directory. Some people might just feel like they have to delete
files to clean up the desktop.

Gaute