Re: $HOME as desktop

Owen Taylor wrote:

   dcc - xchat is broken
   evolution - evolution is broken
   nsmail - Netscape 4 was broken several years ago
   GNUstep - wmaker was broken when I tried to
             reproduce a bug yesterday
   Mail - various traditionally unixy things are broken
   News - Gnus is broken
   Desktop - KDE is broken

You get the picture. If we made $HOME the desktop we force the user to choose between having useless
  cruft on their desktop and not using other software.
You've been pretty exhaustive there and you've only come up with 7 examples, realistically its likely to be one or two for most long-term users. Evolution is changing. KDE is configurable.

The argument seems to be it's alright to have a ton of crap in your home directory that you use from shell, but not on your desktop. It's shell centric view of the world.

- Quality user experience depends on consistency;
not just within GNOME, but for all apps. How are Mozilla, and OpenOffice.org, and the Java file selector, and ... going to get the
  behavior right if GNOME uses ~ and KDE uses Desktop/ ?
Mozilla, openoffice, java-file selector all use Home. They will have to add a Desktop in future if that's what we standardize on - giving a users a choice they don't really need to make.

BTW, having supported a lot of MSWin users I know they 'lose' documents all the time, and accept it as part of working with computers. End-users feel they don't 'understand' where their files go, and where/what the desktop is. I just feel where going down the same path to some extent.

Perhaps using $HOME is logically right, but practically
speaking I can't see how it is even a possibility at
all. We need to use ~/Desktop, and we need to spend our
ingenuity in making that seem as consistent and robust
as possible.

Regards,
                                    Owen
Sorry, I'm still convinced $HOME is a better long-term solution, even if ~/Desktop is the short-term path of least resistance.

Regards,
Long.