Re: [Usability]Nautilus toolbar simplification

Mark Finlay wrote:
On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 21:25, Alan wrote:
Why?  That's the one thing that should definatly stay IMHO.  If I want
to go to /foo/bar/baz/qux/some/long/directory/path it's probably a lot
faster to type it

But is that an issue with the location bar or with nautilus's speed?

The location bar is probably going to be hidden by default in 2.4 so we
need to look at _why_ you find it faster to use it, and maybe improve
or speed up nautilus to make this redundant.

I can think of two general cases where the location bar would afford a significant advantage: 1) With large directories, the number of items you have to scroll through can be overwhelming. Unix filesystems tend to have a few really large directories that you need to access frequently. 2) If you want to browse from /home/foobar/something/else/lots/of/stuff/here/really/deep to /usr/lib/something/else/lots/of/stuff/here/really/deep. It would be a lot more painful to do this traversal if your only commands are "up" and "down into this folder".

I can't say how important these cases are to the typical gnome user, however.

Also, would you still be able to cut-and-paste paths (or parts of paths), into or out of nautilus if you remove the location bar? These seem like important use-cases to support.