Re: Patches improving tree view (multi-root and auto-follow)

hi all,

personally i think the third patch would be the best solution (and i
like the idea that my code get used ;-) ).
Another thing is - wouldn't it be possible to open tree nodes
automatically when the user (while in drag&drop action) holds his mouse
over a node ? - i think this would be very useful.
To the manage part: An option "add new root" - which then opens a nice
dialog where the user can enter a new uri - or where he can select one
from a predefined list with the gnome-vfs avaible uris with a short
explaination would be a good thing (if it is makeable).
And... the context menu from the file views - isn't it possible to also
inlcude it into the (multi)tree view ? - i've taken a short look at the
code and i think it wouldn't be that problem, or i am wrong ?

mfG
Wolfgang Pichler

Am Son, 2003-06-15 um 11.00 schrieb Jürg Billeter:
> We're still undecided but I've made a new set/variant of patches.
>
> - http://www.bitron.ch/linux/src/nautilus-2.3.4-tree-1.patch
> Improved patch for tree-follows-view: Uses load_location instead of
> history_changed, works without any idle handlers and the memory is
> hopefully correctly managed...
>
> - http://www.bitron.ch/linux/src/nautilus-2.3.4-tree-2.patch
> Same as tree-1 + removed the persisting expansion_states as I think
> that's not anymore useful with tree-follows-view. We can now use
> bookmarks for similar purposes.
>
> - http://www.bitron.ch/linux/src/nautilus-2.3.4-tree-3.patch
> Same as tree-2 + multi-root support. This is the classic multi-root
> variant similar like the one found in Windows. The implementation is
> somewhat based on Wolfgang Pichler's. It uses bold captions for root
> nodes but it doesn't allow yet to modify the displayed roots (without
> modifying the code ;) ). The combination with tree-follows-view was a
> bit tricky (as there are multiple tree folders with the same uri) but
> I've made a relatively smart implementation or I hope at least that it
> isn't that bad.
> Screenshot: http://www.bitron.ch/linux/nautilus-2.3.4-tree-3-ss.jpg
>
> Managing root nodes: I think the best solution would be to add a item to
> the folder context menu like "Add Folder to Tree" respectively "Remove
> Root Folder" if the folder is already defined as root. And surely we
> have to add this context menus to the tree view nodes, too. Perhaps we
> could fix the Home and the FS-Root roots to avoid the problem of saving
> the home uri in GConf (and also the problem when a user's homedir gets
> relocated).
>
> BTW: As the -2 and -3 patches are not that legible, there are also
> incremental diffs available (...-tree-{1-2,2-3}.patch).
>
> Just some additional material, perhaps it helps us to find the best tree
> view behaviour.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jürg Billeter
j bitron ch