Re: Patches improving tree view (multi-root and auto-follow)

We're still undecided but I've made a new set/variant of patches.

- http://www.bitron.ch/linux/src/nautilus-2.3.4-tree-1.patch
Improved patch for tree-follows-view: Uses load_location instead of
history_changed, works without any idle handlers and the memory is
hopefully correctly managed...

- http://www.bitron.ch/linux/src/nautilus-2.3.4-tree-2.patch
Same as tree-1 + removed the persisting expansion_states as I think
that's not anymore useful with tree-follows-view. We can now use
bookmarks for similar purposes.

- http://www.bitron.ch/linux/src/nautilus-2.3.4-tree-3.patch
Same as tree-2 + multi-root support. This is the classic multi-root
variant similar like the one found in Windows. The implementation is
somewhat based on Wolfgang Pichler's. It uses bold captions for root
nodes but it doesn't allow yet to modify the displayed roots (without
modifying the code ;) ). The combination with tree-follows-view was a
bit tricky (as there are multiple tree folders with the same uri) but
I've made a relatively smart implementation or I hope at least that it
isn't that bad.
Screenshot: http://www.bitron.ch/linux/nautilus-2.3.4-tree-3-ss.jpg

Managing root nodes: I think the best solution would be to add a item to
the folder context menu like "Add Folder to Tree" respectively "Remove
Root Folder" if the folder is already defined as root. And surely we
have to add this context menus to the tree view nodes, too. Perhaps we
could fix the Home and the FS-Root roots to avoid the problem of saving
the home uri in GConf (and also the problem when a user's homedir gets
relocated).

BTW: As the -2 and -3 patches are not that legible, there are also
incremental diffs available (...-tree-{1-2,2-3}.patch).

Just some additional material, perhaps it helps us to find the best tree
view behaviour.

Regards,

Jürg Billeter
j bitron ch