Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usabilty study

Alexander,

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> But a change of default behaviour will instead cause "usability
> problems" for the people who like the current setup. The sun test shows

This seems to be a non-argument to me. If a design was crippled in the
first place, it is still entirely possible to get used to it and to
eventually like it; and people often don't like to "unlearn" something
they already know. However this cannot be a reason to bring new insights
to a standstill.

So I'd like to voice my support for the
universal-previewer-in-a-new-window here, and point out this thread which
already covers a lot of the discussion:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-February/msg00427.html

> The other way always pops up new windows for each item, placing them
> semingly randomly on screen having you micro-managing their position and
> size, etc. That could also be seen as irritating and unexpected.

Given a sane window manager, new windows (except dialogs, of course) will
not be placed seemingly randomly on screen but instead somewhere where it
doesn't obscure the window you were looking at.

> I don't see how you can be for a universal previewer when Nautilus is
> designed to be that and you want to remove it. It would have all the

Nautilus was also orginally designed to be a browser. I think I can safely
say there is consensus now that browsing should not be part of the current
design any more.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778