RE: [Usability] Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usab ilty study

> The other way always pops up new windows for each item, placing them
> semingly randomly on screen having you micro-managing their
> position and
> size, etc. That could also be seen as irritating and unexpected.

Showing them always in the same separate "Preview Window" would solve this
problem. (This is Jeff's preview application idea). Of course, it could give
other problems, and I can't think of any previous example of this.

> I don't see how you can be for a universal previewer when Nautilus is
> designed to be that and you want to remove it. It would have all the
> issues you bring up in yor mail. I do also think we can
> design the text
> view so that its more obvious that it is a view.

I think the idea is that it would be separate from the file view, and would
not cause people to lose the file view.

I think the best approach is for the people who like the separate "universal
viewer" idea to try to implement it, regardless of what Nautilus does. If it
works then we can think about using it.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com