Re: Proposal for bug 73937 / symlinks in nautilus

> DISCLAIMER: I haven't really followed this thread much ...
>
> But, I just wanted to say that even though it is not consistent with the
> traditional Unix way, the "expand symlinks" behaviour in Nautilus is quite
> useful. In fact it makes more sense since we have a "Back" and "Up"
> button. If I follow a symlink and want to go back to my previous directory
> tree I press "Back", but if I want to go up in the new directory tree I
> press "Up". Makes a lot of sense to me.
>
> One could argue the reason the shell doesn't do it like that is because
> there is no "cd <go back>" command. ;)
>
> Just my two cents,

What you are talking about are bookmarks. And they are indeed nice and handy to have.
But symlinks should not be used as such, it is not there purpose. And it would be silly
if a single program in my system would change its meaning.

Just another two euro-cents,

Aschwin