Re: Proposal for bug 73937 / symlinks in nautilus

On 18 Jan 2003, Dave Camp wrote:

> I think the answer depends on whether we think symlinks are usually used
> as filesystem fixups or "bookmarks".  I'd want the new behavior for the
> former and the old for the latter.
>
> I agree that usually they're used as filesystem fixups, and the average
> user doesn't usually need to do that.  But the way nautilus exposes
> symlinks in the ui makes them more likely to be used by the users as
> bookmarks.  I usually use "Link Here" from the context menu to create
> bookmarks, not to fix up the filesystem.
>
> I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that nautilus is used for browsing
> a user's personal stuff more often than it is used for browsing the
> system files.  I'd also guess that for the average nautilus user
> bookmarks are more common than fixups in the personal space,
> particularly for inexperienced users.
>
> I'm not particularly attached to either solution.  I'd say that we don't
> have a clear enough case to change the behavior people are used to, so I
> think I'd go for reverting the change.
>
> Does that make sense?

Ok. I'm reverting this.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scrappy sweet-toothed senator moving from town to town, helping folk in
trouble. She's a blind bisexual vampire who believes she is the reincarnation
of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!