Re: Proposal for bug 73937 / symlinks in nautilus

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:19:56PM +0000, iain wrote:
> søn, 2003-01-12 kl. 07:44 skrev Rolf Kulemann:

> > Perhaps it would make sense to make an option in nautilus's preferences
> > so users can choose the behavior.
> > The useability team can propose what default option would make sense.
>
> That really sounds like the "Please unbreak me" option.
>
> My opinion is that we should do whatever "cd .." does, because that in
> reality is what clicking the button really should be meaning.
>
> On bash I think it does it the way it works now.
> /misc -> /mnt/misc
> cd /misc
> cd ..
> pwd gives /

Add to the problem this bug: that Nautilus behaves
differently depending on whether you enter a directory symlink in the
location bar or navigate to it through its parent's view.

When you enter it, the symlink's name stays and Up takes you to the
directory where the symlink is located, as a Unix user expects it.

When navigating there, it resolves the symlink and Up brings you to the
target's parent.

I hesitate to file a bug because I don't know if this has been resolved
as well with bug 73937.

Benjamin