Re: [gnome-love] Re: Retiring bugs - or - guilty until provent innocent?

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:52:40AM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:

> > Some bugs are really bizzare and only show up on some architectures,
> > compiler versions, library versions, or just in very uncommon situations.
> > Fixing these bugs are really important, as they are the kind of bugs that
> > make the system "feel unstable". It is important that bugs like that are
> > not closed.

My attitude is that the time lost in accidentally closing a "real" bug is far
less than the time lost in keeping a bunch of "not-real" bugs open on the off
chance that one of them might be real.

If the bug is real and we inappropriately close it, it'll quickly either be
reopened by the original filer or a new one will be filed by someone else. I
waste a lot of my bugzilla time just looking at the same bugs over and over
again and wondering, "Gee, I wonder if I should close that?"

Cheers,
John