My humble opinions about Nautilus interface

Hello, folks.

I'm using Nautilus 2.0.6 (which comes with Red Hat 8.0) and I would like to share with you some opinions about Nautilus interface (and GNOME in general).

Please note that I'm not a member of nautilus-list, so I will follow the discussion from the web archive. Also, I'm not a native English speaker, so my words may be confusing at some points.

Well, let's work. I think that:

1. The Side Pane on/off state should be saved as well as its current component being used (such as Tree or History);

2. Everything that Nautilus can access (filesystem, configuration, cameras, rpms, fonts, network, etc.) should be able to be accessed in an usable way from the Tree;

3. The Tree selection should follow the user as he/she navigates through folders, machines, etc.;

4. Right-clicking on a Tree item should bring up the same pop-up menu as when clicking on the Icon View;

5. More Tree: when a folder does not have any subfolder, its arrow should not be visible. This means that Nautilus should scan for subfolders each folder which is expanded in the tree. (In 2.0.6, it always shows the arrow and, when there are no subfolders, an "(Empty)" subitem is shown);

6. Even more Tree: Tree items should behave exactly like Icon View items, so emblems, custom icons and context menus would work the same way. I think this envolves (a lot of) code sharing between the icon view and the Tree.

I think a Tree is very important in a graphical file manager. Without a tree, Drag and Drop is almost useless, specially when dealing with small screens (1024x768 or 800x600).

As a GNOME lover, I've been following the project since the beginning. I see that GNOME has a GREAT usability culture and I simply love the improvements made to Gnome 2.

But i'ts a pity that the Nautilus Tree was almost abandoned (as we can see) in favor of Usability. I've read in some mailing list that "a tree confuses users". I noticed that sometimes we think too much about Usability and forget to think about PRODUCTIVITY, which is a very important subject. A tree is non-usable but is DEAD productive. At the same time, an icon-only interface with navigation buttons is usable but is non-productive.

I think the user should be able to choose between productivity or usability. Yes. The Tree should be invisible by default. :)

Thank you guys for developing Nautilus. I love it more at each new release.

Fabio Gomes de Souza
fabio gs2 com br

NAUTILUS TREE! NAUTILUS TREE! NAUTILUS TREE! NAUTILUS TREE! :D